PLEASE REVIEW CAREFULLY PRIOR TO REGISTRATION.
HUNTING RULES AND REGULATIONS
1. In addition to the requirements below all laws and regulations of the state of Florida relating to hunting shall apply. All hunters will be asked to provide a valid Florida Hunting License. All hunters must check in and will be briefed by SSA.
2.Participants who are disabled within the meaning of the Americans with Disabilities Act will be reasonably accommodated for the duration of the event, otherwise, companions are only allowed to aid youth and veteran hunts.
3. Feral hogs may not be transported alive from the designated property.
4. Hunters shall gain access to their per-determined hunting zone through designated gates and shall remain in their hunting zone throughout the hunting period.
5. Hunters may not use vehicles to access hunting zones unless pre-authorized by SSA and the County.
6. Vehicles used by SSA must stay on roads and county-established fire lanes. Vehicles may not be operated in a manner that could damage property and natural habitats.
7. SSA shall provide assistance with harvest recovery.
8. Tampering with or destruction of property including but not limited to equipment, improvements, fences and water control structures is prohibited.
9. All hunters and companions shall wear a minimum of 100 square inches of Dayglow fluorescent orange material above the waistline as an outer garment. Head covering of the same color is also required. The Dayglow fluorescent orange material must always be visible including when in ground blinds.
10. Except for feral hogs (i.e., non-native nuisance animal), it is illegal to remove or damage any plants or animals on County property.
11. No plants, or their parts, or any animals shall be introduced, liberated, planted or placed in any part of County-owned property.
12. Hunting shall be with bow or crossbow only.
13. The use of feeders, baiting or the possession of baiting materials is only allowed on the day of hunt.
14. Trapping of any kind is prohibited.
15. Taking or attempting to take any feral hogs with the aid of live decoys, recorded game calls or sounds, set guns, artificial light, net, trap, snare, drug or poison is prohibited.
16. Stands, blinds and other equipment shall not be placed within 200 feet of the hunting zone boundary.
17. Driving a metal object into any tree or hunting from a tree into which a metal object has been driven is prohibited.
18. Any equipment used in conjunction with a hunt must be labeled with owner’s name and phone number. All equipment shall be removed at the end of the hunting period.
19. Feral hogs shall be removed from County property dead and whole. Field dressing may occur as long as it is not conducted within 100 feet of the Landfill perimeter fence and out of public view.
20. It is unlawful to leave garbage or litter on County property. All hunters and companions are required to pack in and pack out. No one shall use any portion of the County’s property including the landfill, dumpsters and garbage containers for disposal of waste.
21. All kills shall be reported to a designated check in station.
22. Any feral hog wounded but not killed must be reported to a designated Check Station. The report shall include a description of where the hunter last viewed the feral hog.
23. Any personal injury sustained on County property shall be reported to the designated Check Station.
24. Alcoholic beverages are prohibited.
25. Smoking on County property is prohibited.
26. No dogs are allowed on County property.
27. Fires are prohibited on County property.
28. If a participant breaches any requirement listed above, the participant will be excluded from all future feral hog removal activities on County-owned property.
REGISTRATION AND NO COST LOTTERY RULES
1. For the youth hunt, 24 hunters will be selected from 100 contestants. For the veterans and general hunts 48 out of 200 of will be selected at random.
2. Only Sarasota County residents may participate in either the youth (under 16) hunt or general hunts. Addresses may be verified using valid Florida Hunting License. Any veteran or active duty military personnel may participate in the veterans hunt.
3. There will be no cost to register or participate in either the lottery or the hunts.
4. Registration for all hunts will open on the SSA Website using an online ticketing service beginning January 6, 2021 at 12:00PM and ending January 13, 2021.
5. Only those with valid Florida Hunting Licenses may register.
6. The hunts will be conducted rain or shine.
7. Hunters may register for any hunt they are eligible to participate in (JUST ON ENTRY PER HUNT).
8. The lottery will be conducted as follows; when registration is complete, registration numbers will be sent to Sarasota County Staff. County staff will conduct the drawing.
9. Hunters whos names are drawn will be notified via email, they will then receive additional information regarding the hunt such as time to check in, assigned zone, parking and staging information.
10. The Sarasota Sportsmen's Association will assign the zones to the hunters as well as assist with transportation to and from hunting areas.
11. Those whos names are drawn may not transfer hunting privileges to another.
12. Hunters may not swap or change zones unless authorized by SSA.
13. A waiver will be required prior to hunting.
14. All hunters, volunteers and staff must comply with Covid - 19 protocols.