PLEASE REVIEW CAREFULLY PRIOR TO REGISTRATION.
2023 PINELANDS RESERVE DEER / FERAL HOG HUNTING REGULATIONS
1. In addition to the requirements below all laws and regulations of the state of Florida relating to hunting shall apply. Failure to comply with regulations will result in disqualification from participation.
2. All hunters and companions must be present for safety/informational briefing prior to the hunt.
3. All hunters and SSA volunteers must sign the required waiver.
4. Each hunter must provide proof of his/her valid and current State of Florida Hunting License and State Deer Permit.
5. All hunters will check in and out of the property with Sarasota Sportsmen’s Association (SSA) and/or Law Enforcement Officers at a designed location.
6. No deer or feral hog may not be transported alive from the property.
7. Hunters shall gain access to their assigned hunting zone through designated gates and shall not access any other zones.
8. Only SSA volunteers may operate vehicles in the designated hunting area.
9. Vehicles used by SSA must stay on roads and county-established fire lanes. Vehicles may not be operated in a manner that could damage property and natural habitats.
10. SSA will provide assistance with harvest recovery and transportation.
11. Tampering with or destruction of property including but not limited to equipment, improvements, fences and water control structures is prohibited.
12. All hunters and companions shall wear a minimum of 500 square inches of Dayglow fluorescent orange material above the waistline as an outer garment. Head covering of the same color is also required. The Dayglow fluorescent orange material must always be visible including when in ground blinds.
13. Except for deer and feral hogs, it is illegal to remove or damage any plants or animals on County property.
14. Antlerless Deer (Does) may only be taken on days designated by FWC. Male deer (Bucks) must have a minimum of three (3) points on one side. (A point is defined as antler growth off the main beam that is 1” in length.)
15. No plants, or their parts, or any animals shall be introduced, liberated, planted or placed in any part of County-owned property.
16. Hunting shall be with bow or crossbow only. Hunters may harvest ONE deer only.
17. The use of feeders, baiting or the possession of baiting materials is not permitted.
18. Trapping of any kind is prohibited.
19. Taking or attempting to take any hog or deer with the aid of live decoys, recorded game calls or sounds, set guns, artificial light, net, trap, snare, drug or poison is prohibited.
20. Stands, blinds and other equipment shall not be placed within 200 feet of the hunting zone boundary. Driving a metal object into any tree or hunting from a tree into which a metal object has been driven is prohibited.
21. Any equipment used in conjunction with a hunt must be labeled with owner’s name and phone number. All equipment shall be removed at the end of the hunting period.
22. Deer and Feral hogs shall be removed from County property dead and whole. Field dressing may occur but shall not be conducted within 100 feet of the Landfill perimeter fence and out of public view.
23. It is unlawful to leave garbage or litter on County property. All hunters and companions are required to pack in and pack out. No one shall use any portion of the County’s property including the landfill, dumpsters and garbage containers for disposal of waste.
24. All kills shall be reported – NO EXCEPTIONS.
25. Any deer or hog wounded but not killed must be reported. The report shall include a description of where the hunter last viewed the animal.
26. Any personal injury sustained on County property shall be reported to the designated Check Station.
27. Use of Drugs and Alcoholic Beverages is prohibited. Any evidence of consumption prior to or during the hunt will result in permanent expulsion from the program.
28. Smoking on County property is prohibited.
29. No dogs are allowed on County property except those assisting SSA with deer recovery.
30. Fires are prohibited on County property.
31. If a participant breaches any requirement listed above, the participant will be excluded from all future hunting activities at the Pinelands Reserve.
32. All hunters and volunteers must maintain communications via mobile phone during the hunt with the Hunt Coordinator.
REGISTRATION AND NO COST LOTTERY RULES
1. Only Sarasota County Residents, Sarasota County Employees and Active Duty US Military, may register to participate in the lottery / hunts.
2. All youth hunters, 16 and under must be accompanied by an adult with a valid Florida Hunting License and Deer Permit.
3. There will be no cost to register or participate in either the lottery or the hunts.
4. Registration for all hunts will open on the SSA Website using EVENTBRITE beginning October 24, 2023 at 12:00PM and ending October 27, 2023 at 12:00PM, or before if 100 hunters register.
5. Only those with valid Florida Hunting Licenses with Deer Permits may register.
6. The hunts will be conducted rain or shine.
7. Hunters may register for any hunt they are eligible to participate in (JUST ONE ENTRY PER HUNT - IF YOU REGISTER FOR THE SAME HUNT MORE THAN ONCE YOU WILL BE REMOVED FROM THE LOTTERY).
8. The lotteries will be conducted after the registration closes.
9. Hunters who's names are drawn will be notified via email, they will then receive additional information regarding the hunt such as time to check in, assigned zone, parking and staging information.
10. The Sarasota Sportsmen's Association will assign the zones to the hunters as well as assist with transportation to and from hunting areas.
11. Those who's names are drawn may not transfer hunting privileges to another.
12. Hunters may not swap or change zones unless authorized by SSA.
13. A waiver will be required prior to hunting.
14. If your name is drawn and you do not attend the hunt without prior notification you will not be permitted to participate in future hunts.
15. A waiting list will be created in order to provide the maximum number opportunities for hunters.
16. It is the goal of the SSA to provide an opportunity for as many hunters as possible, those who's number is drawn for one hunt will be removed from the other hunt lotteries.